Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Blackburn Inks with Coastal Carolina

Avery High School senior football player Colton Blackburn signed a National Letter of Intent last Wednesday, Feb. 2, to play football for Coastal Carolina University in Conway, S.C

“He is coached by Darrell Brewer, who played for me at Catawba and is someone I trust,” Coastal Carolina head football coach David Bennett said of his recruit at the team’s signing day press conference. “He and (fellow h-back/fullback signee) John Masley just bring so much to the table with their skill and versatility. They will push each other and it will be neat to watch them develop. He likes blocking, he can run ball and catch the ball. That’s what you want in a player. When you have a guy like that who can play either side of the ball that’s what you want when you sign athletes, and we’re real excited about having Cole.”

Blackburn
’s signing took place with his parents, John and Kim Blackburn of Newland, on hand, as well as Avery County Schools Athletic Director David Wright, Viking football head coach Darrell Brewer and Principal Mark Garrett alongside.

“It’s pretty much a dream come true for me. Ever since I started football in seventh grade I fell in love with it. When I played I realized I wanted to take the next step and play in high school. Playing here I decided that I’d like to play in college, so this day means a whole lot to me as a player and a student,” Blackburn said following his press conference. “To succeed in Avery County and do what I love and follow my dream is great.”

Blackburn
gave credit to the Avery football players and coaches for giving him the confidence to succeed on the gridiron. “The team’s made a great impact on me, as we’ve grown as a family. My teammates encouraged me every day, continuing to tell me that they believed I could play in college,” Blackburn said. “The coaches, since I was a freshman, they were on my back helping me and pushing me forward to succeed in what I wanted to do. They were a huge help. I couldn’t have done it without them.”

For the Blackburn family, the day was a culmination of years of love and nurturing, and the fruition of a long-time dream.

“I’m very proud of Colton. As a freshman he told us this was one of his goals and he has worked very hard for it,” Blackburn’s mother Kim said. “He really took ownership of his goal in his junior year and he spent time working out and improving, whether with teammates or on his own, and he even researched schools to play in college. It has been really special to see how he has grown and matured not just as a son, but as a young man. It’s been a pleasure as his mom to see him reaching his goals, and it’s both sad and exciting to see him move further with them.”

“Coastal is a great school and great football program. From the coaches to the facilities, the coaching staff has been great through the whole process,” Blackburn’s father Rick said. “They take care of the students. They make sure they keep their grade point average up and are academically accountable with a 95 percent graduation rate of student-athletes, so we know they will take care of Colton and do a great job working with him.”

Blackburn is the ninth Avery player to sign to play college football since Brewer took over as head coach prior to the 2004 season, and the latest commitment holds a special place in the heart of the coach.

“It’s one of the most gratifying days as a coach, but it’s also one of the saddest to see a player advance from the high school program to play in college, especially with a kid like Colton and the relationships you build with him. It’s tough to say goodbye to him, but he’s meant the world to our program,” Brewer said of his senior running back and defensive end. “He’s a hard worker and I’ve never coached a finer young man. He’s a heck of a football player. If you could ever clone a football player, Cole’s the kind of player you’d want to clone. Coastal Carolina will be extremely proud to have him because he’s such a versatile player. Cole can play tight end, you can split him out or put him in the backfield. Coach Bennett saw the versatility in Cole and he sees many places that he could be used. They’re truly excited about adding him to their program.”

The Chanticleers are members of the Big South Conference and have won three conference championships. Four former Chanticleers currently play professionally in the National Football League, including San Diego Chargers running back Mike Tolbert and Miami Dolphins quarterback Tyler Thigpen.