Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Jennings Continues Successful Football Career with Wasps


Former Avery Viking quarterback and wide receiver Preston Jennings is no stranger to adversity and change. During his junior season at Avery he suffered a broken collar bone that shortened his season, and to compound issues he suffered mononucleosis as a senior that again hampered him from experiencing a full final season with the Big Red.

Despite the obstacles Jennings was afforded an opportunity to play football at the collegiate level with the Emory and Henry Wasps in Emory, Virginia.

“Having the chance to show what I can do on the field at Emory has been really satisfying,” Jennings remarked after Saturday’s home win over Methodist University. “I really thank God for the opportunity to play. I went through a lot when I played in high school as well as here, and this has really been an awesome place to come and play.”

During his tenure at the school he served as the backup quarterback through his sophomore season. Over the past off-season Preston made the decision to switch positions and move to wide receiver. Thus far the choice has proven a wise one, as he has led the Wasps in receptions and receiving yards this season.

“The transition wasn’t too bad, and I really don’t miss the quarterback position much. It’s a stressful position but I can’t complain with where I’m at right now,” Jennings added. “My freshman year I played receiver, and I was coached up really well that year, then I went back to playing quarterback last season. That really made the switch back to receiver this season a lot easier for me, being familiar from my earlier experience there.”

Jennings has proven to be a valuable weapon to the Wasps thus far this season. He has not only served as a wideout playing the slot and wide positions, but also plays special teams on the kickoff return squad and holder for place kicks.

“At the start of the season our punter was holding, but since I’ve been here I’ve been the backup holder. I guess they figured that if something went wrong I’d be able to run around or convert on a busted play,” Jennings said.

In Saturday’s win over Methodist University, Jennings had five catches to lead the team, including an incredible juggling and diving circus catch that preserved a drive and set up a third quarter touchdown as the Wasps stung the Methodist Monarchs 49-6 this past Saturday. Jennings led Emory and Henry with 52 yards receiving as the team passed for 239 yards total.

“We came in and made a statement in the game. We wanted to put them away early today,” Jennings said of the victory.

Emory and Henry College, an NCAA Division 3 school located 1 ½-2 hours from Avery County, has proven a great fit for the junior. The campus is located in a rural area and the school has a strong fan base for football as well as a rich gridiron tradition.

“This is a nice community. I think more than anything it is a football school,” Jennings said. “It has great academics and the community rallies behind the team and the football program here. I’ve met a lot of good friends and it has always felt like the right fit for me.”

Jennings credits his high school football experience for helping him to prepare for the rigors of college football, as well as the discipline needed to deal with whatever issues come along that are associated with playing the game.

“Playing football at Avery taught me how to be a tough player and how to suck it up and persevere. It taught me to work hard, even in times when I didn’t want to,” Preston shared. “It taught the importance too of being coachable, and how important it is to listen and buy into what the coaches are teaching and saying. They definitely know more than I do, and that has taken me a long way.”

Preston is quick to commend his college coaches who work with him each day with helping to improve his position play and making him the on-field threat that he has become to defenses in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference.

“Our coaches are awesome. It seems like every week we are the more disciplined team on the field, and I’m really thankful for that,” Jennings stated. “They work really hard and they’re always in the film room trying to perfect both the big things and little things to make us better.”

Family and friends have always been important in Preston’s life, and he is grateful for the constant support of loved ones who attend his games and who are by his side cheering him on each Saturday as well as every other day to succeed.

“Seeing my family here is so important. It was great today to have several members from my church youth group come up to the game,” Jennings said. “Having those closest to me come out to the games is really special, and I’m fortunate to have family and friends who love me and come out to watch me play.”

As a former Viking, Preston continues to follow the football team from afar and had some advice for the Avery boys of fall who are looking to win a Western Highlands Conference and North Carolina state football championship this season.

“First, I know how hard they have worked in the off-season, and I’d tell them that they get one shot at it,” Jennings said. “My current teammates talk a lot about how they miss playing on Friday nights, and I’d tell the Avery players that there’s no reason you shouldn’t leave it all out on the field. Give all you have every day in practice and give it everything you have on every play.”

Jennings and his Emory and Henry teammates host Randolph-Macon College this Saturday at 1 p.m. for Homecoming. Congratulations to Avery alumnus Preston Jennings and continued best wishes as he continues his successful collegiate football career.