Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Musings and Ramblings: Invitation to State Games Latest Honor for Talented Lady Viking

It is hard to be a standout in one sport while in high school, let alone multiple sports over three seasons in a single school year. Add to that being able to balance time for academic pursuits and spare time for friends and family, and it quickly becomes obvious how uniquely talented an athlete that Avery High School junior student-athlete Mary Chesnut Smith truly is.

During the 2009-10 school year alone, Smith earned a long pedigree of accolades and achievements in multiple sports, including:

-
Ladies Golf: competed on Avery’s first ladies golf team, participating in the Western Highlands Conference tournament.
-
Varsity Cross Country: All-Conference (unable to further compete due to illness)
-
Varsity Basketball: Sectional Champion and Regional Semi-finalist
-
Varsity Track and Field: Conference Runner of the Year (won 800 and 1600 meter run events, finished second in 3200 meter run), State Meet Qualifier by finishing second in 800 and 1600 meter run at West Regional (inclement weather prevented Smith from competing in the 3200 meter event or other additional events), Finished second in 800 meter race and fourth in the 1600 meter run at 1A State Track Championships.
-
Varsity Soccer: All-Conference, All-Region 10, All-State, Western Highlands Conference Player of the Year. Western Highlands regular season champion, 1A West Regional champion, NC 1A state soccer finalist, Avery team Most Valuable Player with 33 goals and 28 assists for the season.
-
First-ever Avery athlete to be recognized as the Western Highlands Conference Female Athlete of the Year.

In addition to these honors, Mary Chesnut tried out and was selected to play for the West team at the North Carolina State Games on June 26th and 27th at Queens University in Charlotte. Smith is part of the West squad, and will play the South team at 10:00 a.m. on June 26th.

Last week I had the privilege of sitting down to chat with Mary Chesnut Smith and her mother, long-time photographer, Avery soccer assistant coach and team publicist Serena Smith. Over the course of conversation we discussed a variety of subjects, both on and away from the field of play.

JS: Did winning the
Western Highlands Conference Female Athlete of the Year award come as a surprise to you? What does it mean to you that out of all the female athletes out of our eight-school conference, your excellence was recognized as the best?

MCS
: It did. I wasn’t even aware there was an award. I don’t know why they picked me, but it’s good and I’m glad I was chosen.

JS: You are so deeply involved in sports activities during a school year. Where do you find time to enjoy hobbies or interests outside of sports?


MCS
: Basically the summer is my off-season, but kind-of not really.

SRS
: For Chesnut, it can be hard for her to get up to attend a basketball camp or different things. She still trains, but isn’t able to do many of the scheduled events during the summer.

JS: What was your first thought when you received the call that you had been selected to play in the State Games?

MCS
: I was kind of surprised, because I thought there were getting a lot more players from the Charlotte area that was very good. I thought I played well and that I might have made it, but I was really waiting to see.

SRS
: They had three tryout locations for the team, and you only had to go to one. Mary Chesnut went to one tryout, but I know some of the other girls had been to multiple tryouts to be sure to have a good showing.

MCS
: It was fun because it was such a high level of talent. The game is faster and cleaner, and everybody who is trying out or playing is really good.

JS: You just finished up the high school soccer season playing in a state championship game. What was the talent level of your opponent (SW Onslow) in that match compared to what you saw as a player during the rest of the season?

MCS: They were definitely better competition. They had people spaced out throughout the field rather than just one or two good players. That added more difficulty for us. I also think we weren’t as accustomed to the weather that day. I don’t want to use that as an excuse, but I believe it hindered us a little bit. We also didn’t have the depth to keep people fresh, then Hayden suffered her broken arm and Mercedes wasn’t feeling well either. I think once they scored the first goal that surprised us, and I think that and the second goal really brought us down a little.

JS: You’ve accomplished a lot in sports over the past three years. What keeps you motivated or what are other goals you hope to reach?

MCS
: Going to college motivates me. I’m hoping to get a scholarship. I just love sports so I just go do them. If I do well, “yay”.

JS: I know you’re a well-versed student in the classroom and was part of the NCHSAA
All-Academic Team. How do you balance your sports activities with the academic portion of being a high school student?

MCS
: Staying up late.

SRS
: She uses her time very wisely. If she is getting back late from a game and has energy, she’ll get what work she can done in the car. If not, she will sleep in the car and work on the homework at home. She isn’t staying up late as much as I’ve heard some student-athletes talk about staying up. She gives it all she can and is currently tied for second in her class, but she isn’t killing herself trying to be the top student in her class. She’s taking the courses she wants to take, taking courses in art and her areas of interest while still taking the required college level classes necessary.

JS: As parents and family, how do you juggle between sports, activities and personal lives?


SRS
: We’ve had four children participate in sports, and each of them have been self-motivated about doing their schoolwork, which makes it easier to free up time because you’re not having to spend extra time and energy getting them to do their work, which obviously comes first. They’ve each fortunately inherited a good part of natural ability and a competitive spirit. I think for Chesnut to see how her older siblings have had to work to compete at a college level has helped her compete at a higher level. She’s willing to go out and run in spite of having games or practices throughout a week. As parents we try not to be pushy, but we encourage them to evaluate what they’re doing and where they want to go. Each of the kids has been such a joy and it’s great to see them succeed.

JS: Chesnut, what does it mean for you as a runner to have the
family support system you have around you, including siblings who have been successful athletes both in high school and at the college level?

MCS
: It’s definitely really nice having them there. It partially helps to keep me going, and it’s nice to not have to ride home on a bus. Nathaniel (brother and former collegiate runner) has taught me everything I know about running. I haven’t had a real running coach, so he’s been a great help. Katherine (sister and former ACHS and LMC soccer standout) got me interested in soccer going to watch all her games. So her getting to watch my games is pretty nice. I love them.

JS: So, would you call soccer your favorite sport? If soccer was not an option as a sport to play, what sport or activity would you most like to do or maybe try out?


MCS
: I don’t know if I’d say that. I like all kinds of sports. I think I would want to try boys lacrosse.

JS: What was it like to see the crowd supporting you and the team in
Raleigh at the state championship game?

MCS
: It was awesome. I was so glad a lot of people came out. I think some of the people were excited just for the trip there. It felt like a football crowd a little. It’s good to see people are kind-of excited about soccer.

JS: Have you been able to enjoy the past three years and take in what you’ve accomplished?

MCS
: I do. I hang out with friends when I can. I’ve enjoyed it. The only thing I wish I’d done was not played three sports in one season my freshman year. I think it was just getting used to high school and having different course work that made the transition rough.

JS: What do you feel has been your greatest accomplishment so far as a prep athlete? What are you most proud of?


MCS
: What counts the most to me has been finishing as state runner-up this season in soccer. Also the running accomplishments have been nice.

JS: What are your hopes and expectations coming into the State Games?


MCS
: Hopefully for our West teams to win. Also I hope it is a good opportunity to be seen by coaches and receive looks from bigger schools. I think it’s going to be fun to play with different teammates and opponents.

JS: How has playing sports at Avery helped you hone your abilities?


MCS
: Working together as a team built unity. The soccer and basketball teams were close and also spiritual and helped draw us together as a team and helped us play together.

JS: Have you given thought to where you might like to attend college and perhaps attend on athletic scholarship?


MCS
: I have several in mind, but I haven’t made a decision on any one school. Athletics might dictate where I go. Right now I would be interested in business, marketing, advertising or design, or maybe architecture. I haven’t figured all that out just yet. If I like a school and what they have to offer, and if they offer financial assistance with a scholarship, I might consider it. If all else fails, I’d like to go to Carolina.

JS: Is there a legacy that you hope after next season that you can leave at Avery High?


MCS
: My name isn’t on a banner yet, which would be nice. It’s like the poems we read, about how we’re all just people in time and we won’t necessarily be remembered later on. I just hope that we can get a good soccer program going at Avery, and that would be my legacy.

JS: What advice might you give to youngsters who watch you play or hear about you and your athletic exploits?


MCS
: PLAY SOCCER or simply play sports. I feel like sports is such a great thing for our county because there is so little else to do in our area. It helps you make friends, it teaches you teamwork, and it gives you experiences. I think it makes for a well-rounded person.

My deepest thanks to Mary Chesnut and Serena Smith for their time in helping with this column, and best wishes to Mary Chesnut at the State Games!