Wednesday, June 9, 2010

MUSINGS AND RAMBLINGS: Evaul’s Career a Testament of Character, Humility, Success

One of the first things people will tell you about Avery soccer coach Tom Evaul is how selfless he is and of his humility toward his significance to the game in this county. One of the last things the coach ever wants is to be edified or lifted up over his coaches, peers, or players. It simply isn’t in his makeup.

This past Sunday at the All-State Soccer Awards Ceremony in Greensboro, Coach Evaul was awarded the NC Region 10 Coach of the Year, as well as the prestigious 1A State Soccer Coach of the Year Award. Upon receiving the recognitions, the coach was quick to put the honors into perspective.

“The honors given to me are not that big a deal when you get my age. Like one coach told me, “It looks good on a resume.” Well, at my age who needs a resume? I'm here to stay with no plans of going anywhere, except eventually Heaven, Lord willing!” Evaul shared with me after winning the awards.

Now I know from my multiple conversations with Coach Evaul that the last thing he wants is for a spotlight to be cast upon him for any individual successes he has garnered. Numerous times he is quick to ask that I credit his fellow coaches and players for their hard work, dedication, and success, which as a writer I try to oblige.

With that said, I want to take just a couple of brief moments to hopefully not infuriate the coach, but highlight Coach Evaul as both a coach and the positive role model he has been to this writer, the countless students, coaches, players, co-workers, family, and friends who have been positively affected by his influence in their lives.

After taking three years of Spanish as a high school student with Coach Evaul and spending the better part of the past decade covering his teams and the sports scene at Avery High School, it is easy to see from a sportswriter’s perspective why the coach and the soccer program has garnered such a great amount of respect and success. The coaches and players all get along tremendously. No single player looks for the accolades that come with winning. Everyone involved practices humility and appreciation toward one another, all facets reflected from the coach.

Coach Evaul is an individual that throughout his tenure has modeled consistency and high Christian character. It doesn’t matter if he’s teaching a class, organizing a practice with fellow coaches, winning a soccer match over a conference rival, or coming up short in a hard-fought state championship match, he is always gracious and humble.

When I asked him what being named the State Coach of the Year, one of the few things Coach had not attained during his storied coaching career, meant to him and to his team, hr was quick to deflect credit to those around him for making it possible.

“The positive about me personally getting any type of award is that it acknowledges that Avery County is doing the right thing with the soccer programs here, or nobody would get any local, regional or state-wide recognition at all,” the coach told me. “What I do and the time I spend doing it is not for my own benefit or to make me feel good about myself. I do it because I love Avery County. This high school and the people associated with this school (students, staff, administration) are special to me. Had it not been for ACHS, I wouldn't have met the most important person in my life!”

What also sets the coach apart is his grasp of “the big picture” when it comes to the impact of his work and the team’s successes.

“Any positive recognition given to this county or school, whether from me or anybody else, is a positive for all of us,” the coach explained. “Just to give you an idea of how unimportant any of this is to me: I don’t even know what my overall coaching record is. The athletes that played while I was coaching who had a passion for the sport and gave their all could tell you what the records were for the years they played, and they are the ones for whom those memories are special.”

Coach Evaul’s significance to soccer and those who play in this county was witnessed throughout this past soccer season, as this area embraced the 2010 Lady Vikings soccer program as never before en route to its appearance in the 1A state championship match. One only needed to see the throng of fans at last month’s championship in Raleigh to verify that truth.

Despite plaques on a mantel and honors bestowed, I appreciate how the coach, unlike many coaches in high school, college, or professional ranks, places greater value and emphasis not on wins or losses or conference championships, but on the relationships he has built and sustained through the years with teachers, former students and players, and others he has encountered in the school halls and on the pitch.

“If I was a part of their memories then that is what God wanted,” Coach Evaul said. “I would hope that whatever impact I had on any athlete’s life that was positive involved the following:
-Be a classy person, win or lose.
-Treat your opponents with respect and dignity.
- Don't be a selfish person.

- A team is only successful if everybody gives all they can give.
- No one person on a team should feel that they are more privileged than anybody else.

- Focus on academics.
- Keep your grades up and respect your teachers and fellow students because it's your academic succe
ss, not your athletic success that will drive your future.
- Be kind to everybody regardless of who or what they are.
- Take the time to reach out to somebody that is a loner, or in need, or hurting. The rewards for being kind are unbelievable.
- Above all else, trust in God and put your faith in Him, and He will take care of all your needs. Give Him all the credit and the glory for who you are and what you accomplish.”


Coach Evaul continues to leave a legacy that few can boast at Avery High School. What the coach finds most valuable, however, is the loving influence others have meant to him and that he has served a higher purpose.

“If I want to be remembered, I don't want it to be because I was a soccer coach for several years at ACHS. I want to be remembered as a man who believed in God and that my life was lived according to His will, a man that loved his wife and family more than they will ever know, a teacher that hopefully had a positive impact on at least one person that I came in contact with, and a man that tried to live up to my parents' expectations based on the values and morals they instilled in me.”

Congratulations Coach Evaul, and thank you for the trailblazer you have been to Avery athletics and the people whose lives you’ve impacted.