Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Clark Overcomes Obstacles, Inspires on Baseball Diamond and in Life

From first glance on a baseball diamond during an Avery High School varsity baseball contest, you might not notice anything out of the ordinary. Nine Vikings players are fielding positions and are poised to compete. If you look a little closer, specifically at the first base position or perhaps the pitcher’s mound, you will find an astounding baseball player in Jared Clark.

Jared is a senior at Avery who is anything but ordinary. Jared is a passionate young man who loves the game of baseball like many young players and competes with a gritty determination. Jared will often strike out batters on the mound, make diving plays at ground balls from the field, and even flash his power at the plate, as he did earlier this season sending a home run over the fence at North Wilkes and this past Monday at home against Mitchell.

What makes Jared astounding, you might ask? Jared performs each of the tasks mentioned, in addition to all other tasks in sports and life, with only one hand. Jared was born without a left hand, and has managed to evolve into an extraordinary athlete who has turned the stumbling blocks in his life into stepping stones.

Jared is the son of Dee and Gwen Clark of Crossnore. I had the pleasure to speak with the family last week for an extended and informative interview.

Upon listening to Jared, it’s obvious that he is a determined individual who lives with a great passion for baseball and life.

“When I was younger Mom and Dad encouraged me to try out for every sport, and told me that I could do whatever I wanted to do. From a young age I really enjoyed baseball,” Jared said regarding his choice of sports to play.

“We’ve always emphasized to Jared that he is not limited, and that he is only handicapped to the degree that he allows himself to be. We have encouraged him in whatever he wants to do, and wouldn’t make any concessions for his disability,” Jared’s father Dee added. “It’s like someone who asked us when he was younger why we didn’t buy him Velcro shoes. We told them it was because he would never learn to tie his shoes if he didn’t have to.”

As one might expect, Jared receives a variety of responses when he takes the field for a game, usually from those who he has never met.

“I’ve received mixed reactions. People who know me say that they think of me as being two-handed and don’t think twice about it,” Jared stated. “I’ve had players say “wow” when they earn a walk and I’m playing first base. Usually I act like it isn’t a big deal because it’s something I’ve been used to my entire life. It’s all I’ve known, so I’ve had to make everything my own.”

Jared’s mother Gwen, a teacher at Avery High School, identified with her son and found his journey to be a learning process for he and his parents.

“I am left handed, and I’ve found this to be a right-handed world. With Jared not having a left hand and learning to do things with his right hand, I found doing things right-handed to be hard and I had to learn along with him,” Mrs. Clark remarked. “I figure that someone is how they are for a reason, and God has a purpose in that. While playing sports we concluded that for Jared it wasn’t a matter of “what can he do” with one hand, but instead became a matter of “what can’t he do” because he can do pretty much anything. There’s really nothing he hasn’t figured out how to do or modified it in a way he can do it.”

Jared’s father Dee related an experience regarding a reaction he received from an opposing coach after a game. “In traveling baseball after a game, a coach came to me saying “I knew there was something different about your son, but I never could figure it out until we shook hands in the line after the game,”” Clark shared.

A defining moment in Jared’s baseball career came when he and his family went to a Winston-Salem Warthogs minor league baseball game. One of the starting pitchers in the game was Jim Abbott, a successful left-handed pitcher who won 87 major league games in his career and even threw a no-hitter as a member of the New York Yankees, all despite being born without his right hand.

“Jim Abbott was pitching in Winston during a rehab stint. Watching the way he played the game showed me that I could do it too,” Jared recalls. “I was amazed at what he was able to do. Just watching him sign a baseball was the coolest thing.”

The Clarks were able to not only watch Abbott pitch, but also visited with him briefly before and after the game.

“Jared sat and was glued on what Jim Abbott did for the entire game. I’m convinced that watching him intently like that helped him figure out how to pitch and do what he does,” Gwen said. “Before that game Jared yelled Jim’s name when he warmed up, and when he got his attention he stuck his nub in the air. Jim immediately came over and told us he’d speak to us after the game. He had a great impact on Jared, and probably doesn’t even know it.”

As for his own baseball career, the Clarks expressed enormous gratitude to a number of coaches who helped shape Jared’s career, including youth tee-ball coach Chantee Hoilman, Little League baseball coaches Danny Aldridge, Jeff Daniels and Bill Wise, and current Avery baseball coach Benny Wellborn and his staff. Outside the county, baseball has helped Jared and his family form lasting friendships with other players like Mountain Heritage’s Steven Wilson, as well as J.D. Chaplain and his family from Owen High School.

“Jared’s youth baseball coaches put a lot of thought and heart into how he could be successful,” Gwen stated.

“Every coach I have ever played for has been great about telling me to pursue my dreams and put me in a good situation,” Jared interjected. “They believed in me, and I owe a lot to those coaches.”

The family especially mentioned Avery basketball head coach Bo Manis as a strong influence in Jared’s athletic development.

“Jared’s story can’t be told without mentioning Bo Manis,” Gwen explained. “Jared respects him so much, because when Bo would tell him “I know you can do this”, Jared could relate with him. Bo was a successful athlete, and Jared saw what he was able to overcome in his life and accomplish.”

Faith is a sustaining force and a lasting positive impact to the Clarks, The family unanimously affirms its effect in the development of Jared as an individual and the family as a whole.

“I have faith to know that God will guide me through any problem that I face and that He is going to guide me in how to adapt to whatever situation I’m in,” Jared shared. “It’s a blessing every time I get the opportunity to walk onto the field and I try to treat it as such. He has blessed me very much.”

“We’ve always felt God had a plan for Jared. How things have fallen into place is the proof of that,” Jared’s father Dee said. “Jared has gotten to play for some of the best coaches in Western North Carolina, and we see God’s hand in everything that has happened.”

Jared’s unforgettable prep career is almost complete, and upon graduation intends to attend Lenoir Rhyne University this fall on a Teaching Fellows Scholarship. While he is disappointed that the door is closing, Jared hopes to stride through another door to continue playing baseball for the Bears at the collegiate level.

“I have thought some about the end of the season. It’s bittersweet, but we still have work to do this season. I know the coaches and seniors have encouraged the team to work as hard as they can and go out playing the best ball that we can,” Jared stated. “As of right now, I plan to walk-on at Lenoir-Rhyne and try to make the team.”

“It’s been a tough decision for Jared on whether he should try to play at the college level, but we’ve told him that we never want him to have any regrets, and that you’ll never know unless you try,” Mrs. Clark added. “When Jared walks off the field, if it’s the last game, he can look back with no regrets.”

Once Jared’s playing career ends, he desires to stay around the game of baseball, preferably as a high school baseball coach.

“I would love to be a high school baseball coach someday. I have a passion and love for the game, and that is something I’d like to instill in other people,” Jared shared.

“Jared is a good teacher and we are a super-blessed family,” Gwen stated. “Our daughter Carson has many of the same qualities as Jared, and he has been a role model to her. She plays softball and wants to be as good as Jared in baseball. They talk a lot and he helps her with ideas and tips.”

I asked Jared and his family what advice they would give to youngsters who might be living with a physical or other disability to continue to do their best and chase their dreams.

“I would first encourage them to pray, because God will guide you through any situation,” Jared quickly remarked. “Secondly I would tell them to never give up. If it’s something you’re passionate enough about and something you love, you can do it.”

Jared’s mom drew from her unique experience as a parent to share insight.

“Everyone has gifts and skills, no matter how insignificant we think they might be,” Gwen said. “I would encourage parents to not limit what their children can and can’t do, because you never know how someone can surprise you with their ability.”

Special thanks to Jared Clark, his parents Dee and Gwen, and sister Carson for sharing their story.