Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wiseman Shines at Blue/White All-Star Game

Sara Wiseman concluded her prep basketball career with an eye-opening performance, hauling down a phenomenal 19 rebounds in last Friday night’s Rhododendron Blue/White All-Star Girls Basketball Classic at T.C. Roberson High School in Asheville.

Wiseman was one of 20 ladies selected from the Mountains region to participate in the contest which serves as a fund raiser to benefit mentally-handicapped children in Western North Carolina.

In addition to the game-high rebound total, Sara added five points and eight blocks in just 20 minutes of floor time as the Blue squad decimated the White squad 85-49.

McDowell's Jaalen Corpening led all scorers with 24 points and was named the game’s Most Valuable Player. Reynolds' Karlee Taylor added 14 for the Blue girls.

Pisgah's Baley Woods and Hiwassee Dam's Kareen Abling each netted a team-high 10 points for the White.

“It was a lot different having girls that I haven’t usually played with and usual routine. It was good to see the different girls and experience how they do their workouts,” Wiseman said of her experience in the event. “Being able to get to know the girls on my team was a great experience.

It was good to face the competition I played against and see some of the players I might be playing with or against if I play in college.”

Sara’s family is extremely proud of her accomplishments in her prep career and selection to the regional All-Star game.

“We’re extremely proud of Sara’s accomplishments both on and off the court. She has worked very hard for many years on her basketball skills and it is very rewarding to see it pay off,” Sara’s father Jack remarked following the game. “More importantly we are proud of her Christian faith and the life she lives.”

Along with Sara’s parents, Avery Lady Vikings head coach Missy Lyons has helped to develop Wiseman’s skills on the court and is proud of her successful career.

“Sara played against a lot of good post players at the Blue/White game. It was good for her to get to play against that caliber of player,” Avery Lady Vikings head basketball coach Missy Lyons said of Sara’s performance. “I’ve seen Sara dominate inside on the high school level against teams, like teams in our conference, that didn’t have a true post player. But I was pleased with how well she played in the game against and college-style post players. I felt Sara was one the most valuable players on the floor that night, as she did a great job of rebounding then making outlet passes to teammates for easy layups.”

Montreat College has expressed interest in Sara playing for them at the collegiate level, but many college coaches attended last Friday’s game and were treated to a rebounding clinic courtesy of Wiseman.

Sara admits she is still undecided on whether she wants to pursue basketball at the next level, but credits much of her success to the Avery High School girls basketball program as well as her coaches in youth basketball and traveling teams for giving her the foundation for success.

“I’m still deciding on whether I want to play basketball in college or pursue a degree in the medical field. I am taking some time to think it over before I make a decision,” Wiseman said. “I learned a lot through the Avery program about responsibility and working hard to be successful as a player. Basketball has been a big part of my life, and I continue playing traveling ball with coaches Joe Seegers and Mike Lacey, who has worked with me a lot on my post game. I’m sure once that season ends, the fact that my high school career is over will sink in.”

Congratulations to Sara Wiseman on a great prep career and awesome performance in last week’s Rhododendron Blue/White Classic!