Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Lady Vikings Fall at Madison, Host Senior Night

As the regular season winds down, the Avery Lady Vikings hit the home stretch of the conference schedule last week, facing a pair of tough challenges in a Tuesday match at Madison and the team’s home finale against Mountain Heritage on Thursday.

In Tuesday’s match the junior varsity squad pulled out a thrilling three-game victory, coming from behind to win in three games by scores of 17-25, 25-18, and 29-27.

The varsity team played a grinding match against the Lady Patriots. Avery came up short in the first game 20-25, but showed dominance in running away with the second game 25-14. Madison regrouped quickly, however, and captured the final two games 25-13 and 25-17, respectively.

Katie Ellis sparked the offense with 23 kills and eight digs, with 13 service points from fellow senior Brittney Hagie. Cassie Bumgarner added 31 assists, with three kills and 10 digs by Savannah Dellinger, seven digs from Rachel Buchanan, two kills and a block by Megan Tennant, and four kills from freshman Shelby McKinney.

“Madison is a very scrappy team, and we just couldn't get it going,” Avery head volleyball coach Kim Hayes said after the match.

On Thursday the Lady Vikings celebrated Senior Night, honoring a quintet of players who have made great contributions to the Avery volleyball program. Prior to the varsity match, Rachel Buchanan, Katie Ellis, Brittney Hagie, Sara Singleton, and Kiley Webb were recognized along with their families.

Prior to the varsity match, the junior varsity fell in two games by scores of 15-25 and 25-27.
Once the varsity contest began, the visiting Lady Cougars of Mountain Heritage made it a point to play the role of spoiler for the evening.
The Lady Vikings played three nip-and-tuck games against Heritage, but good fortune was not with the home team, as the Lady Cougars picked up victories in three straight hotly contested affairs by scores of 23-25, 24-26, and 25-27, respectively.

Katie Ellis had 21 kills, eight digs, and three blocks, with 11 assists from Sara Singleton, six digs from Rachel Buchanan, and two kills from Brittney Hagie. Cassie Bumgarner had 11 assists, with a pair of blocks from Megan Tennant.

“I felt the effort was much better against Mountain Heritage. We were so close every game, actually ahead, but just couldn't finish,” Coach Hayes said following the match. “I really wanted a win for the girls and our fans since it was senior night.”

Despite the loss, the evening was a celebration of the senior players whose contributions to the Lady Viking program have made an impact on the school as well as the coach who was regretful to only coach them for their final season.

“It has been hard for me coming back into coaching and not being with these girls the other three years. That makes a huge difference, and I wish I could have coached them,” Coach Hayes explained. “It has been trying at times for them as well, learning about me and my coaching style. My expectations for all my players are high and I expect things to be done and done correctly. I expect them to play harder than the time they played before.”

In just a brief time the players and coach have formed a tight-knit family-like atmosphere.
“The seniors and others have given me all they could give and I thank them for that. Brittney and Sara both have worked very hard this year and contributed many great things to our program, and Kiley has as well. Kiley had to fight a couple of illnesses this season that caused her to miss over a week of school and volleyball. Rachel has impressed me so much this season. She has played some incredible defensive games, made some awesome digs, and some I never thought she could do. Our defense will miss her tremendously,” Coach Hayes reflected.

“Then there is Katie. I can't imagine what it will be like without her. She has more natural ability than I have ever seen before and by far is the most talented player I have ever coached. She had such an awesome game against Heritage, and I was so happy for her because Lenoir Rhyne’s volleyball coach Dave Markland was there recruiting her. He was my first coach who introduced me to Junior Olympics, the state games, and national competition, and I finished my career with him as coach at ASU. It was very special.”

Avery concluded the regular season with a match Tuesday at Mitchell, and hopes to be able to shore up areas where the team needs to strengthen heading into potential poseason contests.
“I feel like some players have come on in the hitting aspect. But for some reason our defense has let down. I have been waiting for both aspects to come together on the same night,” the coach shared. “At this point, we need to be playing more together as a team and playing for each other.”

By week’s end the Lady Vikings will know whether they have earned a state playoff berth.
“I am not sure what our chances are for the playoffs. We can play with Polk and Hendersonville. I feel we are a legitimate contender for the playoffs,” Coach Hayes said. “I would love to see us go and, even better, win the first round.”