Monday, December 24, 2007

From The Student Section...Merry Christmas Edition


Greetings on Christmas Eve! I hope everyone is going to have a great Christmas. Here are just a few of my thoughts on things in the world of sports and just other really random stuff.


  • Once again, congrats to App State. The atmosphere in Chattanooga was awesome. The fans were really into it and really creative. Two of my favorite signs had to be: "Delaware: Michigan called and they want their helmets back" and "We want the Patriots"

  • College Bowl season is among us, and there are some great matchups. We will feature a few of these games as New Years approachs.

  • Basketball is now in full swing, and we have some great teams in our area. I had the opportunity to cover Avery on Thursday and Cloudland on Friday. All of the teams are fun to watch. The "Border Battle: Basketball Style" between Cloudland and Avery will be some great games. That game is in Roan Mountain on Jan. 29th.

  • Most Exciting Game: You could pick any one of the Cloudland-Mitchell games. Both games ended in dramatic fashion, but the boys game was the wildest at the end. (Note: I am still working on getting the audio up from the girls game. I have had computer issues all weekend, but I have not gave up yet.)

  • Both East Tennessee State and Appalachian State pulled off upsets of SEC teams this past weekend. ETSU beat Georgia in the Hawaii Christmas Tourney and App State defeated Arkansas in Little Rock. The Bucs and Mountaineers square off in Johnson City on Sunday to renew the Mountain Rivarly. I am slated to be there for the Avery Journal-Times, and I wouldn't miss it.

  • Speaking of that game, I go to ETSU and pull for Buc Basketball. However, I have always pulled for App Sports. I am about as 50/50 as you can get for that game, so I really am not pulling for either one to pull it out. I have just as many App shirts as I do ETSU, so I am just hoping for a great game.

  • Things to look forward to on the Avery Journal-Times Blog: Bowl Previews, Avery Sports year in review, ETSU-App Basketball, and another From the Student Section before the year is out!

I hope everyone has a great Christmas, and that Santa brings you what you wanted! Merry Christmas everybody!